Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekenders Episode 2/20/11

I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff done tonight and as a little "carrot" break from that, I'm going to do my weekly update.

I don't have my tiny, paper-maché mileage-booklet in front of me...with the perfectly calligraphed notes, written with a raven's feather dipped in boar's blood, etched into the eternal fabric of time..with the PRECISE distances which my very-shoed feet did cover...

What I'm trying to say is: I'm not sure right now how far I ran...

AND I should have just cleaned my apartment and found that fucking book using the time it took me to double check whether or not "calligraphy" can be turned into a past participle.

For now, we shall say: 50 miles this week. Not great. But...I guess...I upped my miles without slacking off on my winter gym workouts...? is that good?

NO. not at all. I have, exactly, 5 weeks of running before the Bel Monte 50 miler. While I have zero doubts that I can force myself through the race, that wasn't my plan at all. I had hoped to deal with the oppressive mental war wrought by Mother Nature during the winter months by mixing up my running more as well as adding lots of strength training and crosstraining. Then, I had planned on directly shifting this strength/aerobic base* into a decent string of running weeks...emerging a tougher, faster, better downhill runner than i would have been with just lots of flat running alone.

We shall see if I can still salvage that plan.

In other me-related running news: my resting HR was almost 90 a few days ago and I'm not sure why. I ought to go see my doctor, but after the whole drug fiasco... I don't know if I'm going to find a very receptive ear. So...I feel a little adrift. My constantly-elevated HR has definitely been either a contributor or a result of my months-long battle with super-insomnia (a special brand reserved for those who go from years of battling insomnia to months of losing aforementioned battle).

EXAMPLE for your consideration: I started a run at last saturday's mid-morning, warmed up for a couple miles, started to pick up the pace and watched my HR hit 200. I ran back home and sat down.

I ran some errands, etc. and went back out: initially I saw that my HR was climbing, i.e. 7:45/mile and 160. I backed off, relaxed a little (HR: 140) and then went back to running a bit harder. Oddly, my rotten old ticker seemed to find it's groove and I ran the following 9 miles at 7:40/mile and HR 145.

So what the hell? Just to make things clear: I'm 27 years old. I fought off an addiction to the worst opiate drugs modern man can create...but this only lasted about a year?

Nothing I've read indicates that the result should be this wild heart rate situation. Maybe (maybe!) this sort of thing happens after decades of abuse...but a year?

Anyway.

*

No comments: